Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Hidden YA Sexism of the Day!

Been reading a truck load of YA books for my marketing research. One of the books that I identified as having sold more copies than it should have had the following (paraphrased) exchange:


kid-who-asks-dumb-questions-just-to-forward-plot: "Do you really think that the tale of Arthur is true?"

supposed-to-be-wise-old-man-but-is-really-just-a-pompous-a$$: "Well, I don't think *all* of the tales are true. I seriously doubt there was ever a lady of the lake, for example. But Excalibur? I believe in Excalibur."


Um... Because a magical woman is SO much more unlikely than a magical phallic symbol that gives magical power?!

Dude. Just DUDE.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh come on.

Anonymous said...

That exchange sounds familiar. But is it because I've read the book, or because the exchange is a complete cliché?

Penelope said...

I'm with ya K . . .

Karen