Thursday, June 22, 2006

We banished the baby

We had about three days straight were our newborn just screamed and screamed and screamed. I was completely exhausted and depressed because I thought to myself, "well, here's *another* colicky one . . ." Then we discovered a trick: we turned the radio on (really loud) tuned to static and sat her in her chair facing a blank wall. She started cooing and smiling and then fell asleep. The only problem was that the static was SO annoying for the rest of us. So (confession time) we just left her there. We strapped her alone in her chair and let her stare at the blank wall. All day.

When I told my mom this she was horrified. But the kid seemed to like it. Crazy chiquita.

(Thankfully for my mom's sake, we found that the trick works almost as well if we put headphones on her. So she isn't *completely* banished anymore.)

4 comments:

Angie said...

Wow, I've never tried that. My current baby is calm and happy, but I'm going to file that one away in case I ever get another high strung one. Maybe it helps them unwind or something? Wierd. (And if it works I won't feel guilty about it either!)

Millie said...

Out of desperation, we taped our baby's binky to his FACE. He kept spitting it out and then crying, but couldn't quite grasp the concept of "if I suck on it, it will stay in my mouth and I won't get mad." We were tired, he was our first baby, we had no other recourse.

How's THAT for parenting?

SWILUA said...

sounds like fabulous parenting.

Anonymous said...

Except you need to watch out for puking with the binky taped on. The baby could choke.