Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Steve and I spent all day here:



aka: my old high school. the one I dropped out of. (yes: I have no high school diploma. I do have graduate degree(s). long story.)

it turns out that the school (the whole district, I guess!) is on George Bushie's NCLB "Bad" list. which is hilarious to me. not sure why. but it does explain a few things about my odd high school memories...

anyway. we were gathering data. on cover-likability. and a few things were amazing:

1) how much facial hair some of the kids have
2) also pimples. steve wants me to mention the pimples, but honestly, I didn't really notice them. maybe because I had a bleeder on my own forehead and I was self-conscious.
3) how everyone looked like they were the same age as me and yet, they all somehow seemed to know without even asking that I was very, very old.
4) how hard teaching five periods in a row is! Geez, y'all high school teachers work like CRAZY!
5) did I mention about how I felt so old? very, very old?

Glad I'm out of high school.

4 comments:

Jaime said...

It's on the bad list?? I guess for those of us who actually have a diploma from there it's not worth much anymore. I did drive by and see the new Science building which made me jealous.

author said...

Wait. Dropped out? PhD? I think this is a story worth telling. To us.

Anonymous said...

Short version: I told her that she could go to college as long as she got a full scholarship. She did.

Love dad

Penelope said...

NCLB is a joke. Seriously. I would give you a giant fat lecture about why but it's not that interesting. . .

I have a cousin who dropped out of school about two months before graduation. Why? Because she was "bored". Almost twenty years later, she has an undergraduate degree from Vassar and Ph.D from Smith (or vice versa-- all I know is it's more education that I possess and I graduated cum laude from high school). It happens. . .

Karen