Thursday, July 23, 2009

Lily: Master of the Third Option, or, Not-a-Victim-of-the-False-Dilemma-Fallacy (in spite of our best efforts)

me: "Lily, do you want to wear the pink shirt, or the yellow shirt?"

Lily: "The red one."

me: "Okay, the red one, then. Oh, look, it has Elmo on it. Is Elmo your favorite Sesame Street Character? Or is it Zoe?"

Lily: "It's Cookie Monster. Yumyumyumyum."

me: "Yeah, I like Cookie Monster. Come here so we can put this shirt on."

Lily: [ignores me.]

me: "I said come here. We need to put your shirt on."

Lily: [still ignores me.]

me: "Lily, you can either come here, or you can go on time out."

Lily: [looks at me briefly, then runs away.]

me: "or that."

4 comments:

Kristin said...

She's such a smart dolly!! :)

Trisha said...

Gotta love Toddlers, mine hasn't been on my favorite list a few times this week! That's a way cute pic of her though!

bff said...

Wuz weeerd; Lily post there last night, gone this a.m.

my id word is "firesses." it's the plural of Firess, which is some new awesome fantasy goddess, doncha think?

Jordan said...

This is where I fall in love with your blog.

If only we were all so adept at rejecting "false dilemma's" - we'd stop electing liars.