Friday, July 06, 2007

She who is like unto Aphrodite

That's what I make my students call me. It's actually on the syllabus. Right underneath my office hours and email address.

This has been a good week for the whole Aphrodite thing, too. Earlier in the week, I told my students that I'd been teaching at BYU for almost 8 years. This kid looked at me and said, "What? Have you been teaching since you were like, twelve?"

And I said, "um . . . no."

He said, "So, why do you look like you're *my* age?"

I just said, "Like unto Aphrodite, honey. Like. Unto. Aphrodite."

Well, today there was another blessed Aphrodite moment. I was at the records office, getting a grade change form. When I got to the counter and asked for the form, the chica there gave me this nastly look and was like, "You have to actually be from a *department* to pick up a form."

I said, "I'm a professor."

She just grimaced and was like, "Yeah. Right."

I gave her my evil professor glare and said, "Um . . . *yeah.* *right.*" Voice all stern and stuff.

She was like, "Seriously?"

I kept that evil professor glare on and I nodded.

And then she said, "Oh my gosh. I am so sorry."

Like unto Aphrodite, my friends!

4 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Ah, the double-edged sword that is youth!

I'm going to be giggling about your "title" all night.

Steve said...

I just think it's a security gap that all you need for stacks of official forms is the right glare. Plus, what if you are too cheerful that day? No forms for you?

Steve said...

By the way, it's true... she is like unto Aphrodite. In fact, I'd say she leaves the love goddess in her dust. Supravenutian, even. But I hadn't said anything because it's sooo obvious. I have a gorgeous trophy-looking wife that I one-tenth deserve and when she turns heads and sticks in them I get a little prideful but she forgives me and gets even hotter. I'm a blessed man.

SWILUA said...

Can you tell that I forced steve to add that last comment? Cause I did.