Friday, October 17, 2008

Sometimes the voices in other people's heads can make you feel a little crazy

So, I'm in the post office when a lady walks in, talking to herself. She has gray hair, tight-fitting red stirrup pants, and a turtleneck with cartoon characters on it; she's not exactly the technology-embracing type, but I give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that she's talking on a cell phone headset.

Only.

She gets closer and I see no headset. And suddenly, her voice completely changes and she turns to an invisible person. And then it changes back. And then there's a third voice. And then all of the voices are fighting with each other.

And I wonder... could she be having a stroke? Am I a bad person for thinking that she's crazy when all she needs is for me to call 911? But no one but me seems to be paying attention. They don't even seem to notice how angry one of her voices seems to be getting. Maybe I'm the crazy one, I think. Maybe she's talking to the people in line and I just don't notice.

So I do my business, get out of there and walk toward my car. The lady comes out--still talking to herself--and gets behind the wheel of a red sedan, pulling out quickly and speeding away.

A man watches her do this and turns to me, shaking his head and says, "is it just me, or should that woman not be driving."

"Oh, good," I say. "I'm not the only one who noticed."

Question sanity? Check.

No comments: