Thursday, December 10, 2009

In which I reluctantly allow my daughter to (grammatically) objectify herself.

Lily: [tug][tug] "What's with your shirt?"

me: "Huh?"

Lily: "It's *daddy's* shirt."

me: "Yeah, I stole it."

Lily: "Oh. Well, I'd like you to pick me up, Mommy."

me: "What did you say?"

Lily: "I said I. want. you. to. pick. me. up. So you can hold me and carry me to the car?"

me: [think: OMG, that is the first time in her entire life that I've heard her use the correct subject/object distribution in that phrase.][start to get weepy because I liked the old way.][and because it means she's growing up.][which means I'm getting old.]

Lily: "Well?"

me: [refrain from asking her to re-state it as, 'Mommy, I want to hold you' or 'Mommy I want to pick you up.'] "Okay."

1 comment:

Barb said...

Aww...they grow up so fast! *Wipes away a tear*